PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Temperature error correction - or lack of....
Old 25th Nov 2003, 23:48
alf5071h

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RoboAlbert

I have been told that the takeoff event was published by BAE SYSTEMS as an ‘All Operators Message’ Flight Safety Bulletin Ref 01/022V dated 12 Oct 2001. You should be able to get a copy from a friendly BAe146 / Avro RJ operator – they should be able to access the BAE SYSTEMS support web page where all AOMs are held.

The following extracts are from “Terrain II” a summary of CFIT accidents and incidents (limited distribution), published by Honeywell. With thanks to Don Bateman.

MD-80 Kelowna BC Jan 1998
While flying level at 6300 ft inbound to ‘LW’ beacon the charter flight from Vancouver BC received a GPWS terrain warning. The pilot immediately began a go around. The radio altimeter dipped to below 200 ft. The aircraft was 800-900 ft too low due to cold temperature (-30C).
A B737 following the MD-80 had applied cold temperature correction.
(Also see B727 Salt Lake City Feb 1977 ASRS)

MD-80 Windsor Locks CT USA 12 Nov 1995
While on a non precision VOR approach the aircraft flew through trees approx 586 ft above the field level. A go around was initiated but aborted when engine thrust rapidly diminished and the runway lights became visible. The pilots managed to get within 50 ft of the runway threshold taking out the localizer antenna.
Contributing factors:
The flight crew failed to request an updated altimeter setting with a fast moving low pressure storm, giving at least 70 ft error from the previous setting. Probable additional altimeter error from wind flow over mountain, reading 40-90 ft high, and down draught of 300 – 1200 fpm.
Steep instrument approach.
Late night, delays, long duty time, little rest.

I also recall incidents in Alaska and Norway but I cannot locate the reports.