PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2020, 03:31
George Glass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
Not quite apples to apples - on the Gimli Glider they told the crew they had xxxxx kilos of fuel, when in fact they had that many pounds of fuel.

My first semester of college, pocket calculators were just coming online (1973) and outlandishly expensive. Slide rules were the norm - I remember glancing over during a mid-term at another student who was merrily punching numbers into a TI calculator while I was struggling with my slide rule. After hearing my tails of woe, my parents gave my an HP45 calculator for Christmas ($395 - ~$2,000 in today's money - to put that into perspective the previous summer I'd worked in a car dealer making $1.50/hr, and a semester's tuition was a bit over $300!). Most expensive Christmas gift I ever got by far.
Went back to college in January with my fancy new calculator only to have the professors ban using calculators in exams because not all the students could afford one and it was unfair and we all had to use slide rules .
I still have a couple slide rules around here somewhere - although I'm not sure I could still use one (I was never very proficient at it).
One of the great advantages of a slide rule is that you’ve got to know the order of magnitude of the answer before you start.
Makes gross errors much less likely.