PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa board reject € 9 Bn rescue plan
Old 2nd Jun 2020, 00:19
BEA 71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are hundredthousands of airline people fearing the loss of their jobs for good. Friends, colleagues, many of them the finest one can think of, no matter, which airline they work for. In " my days " there was a brotherhood of airliners, and I have no doubt, it still exists. But all, some commentators can do, is to spread words of hate and accusations. No one is responsible for the present situation, the virus affects them all, the subsidies and aids paid to airlines will in the end achieve nothing. The surviving airlines will have to find a way to get out of that misery. Competition at all costs is a nuisance. Years ago, the German Internal Services ( IGS ) were operated by Pan American and British European Airways. When the passenger numbers dropped significantly, either airline was flying with half-empty aircraft, creating heavy losses. In spite of the fierce competion, both airlines decided for a split of routes, so they could secure reasonable loads and income. I think it was the wisest decision of this kind in airline history. Mrs. Vestager would have fainted. Of course this was only possible due to the status of the Berlin air traffic. You can " throw " new routes at other airlines for the sake of competition, but with the high unemployment rates in many countries, there won´t be many passengers who can afford to buy are airline ticket. The demand will set the rules. As it always was the case.

Last edited by BEA 71; 2nd Jun 2020 at 00:21. Reason: Spelling error