PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAE Skype Interview this week. Help
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2020, 20:52
giggitygiggity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LS737
Are you both doing the interview?
Haven't you ever heard of the teleprompter?

In all seriousness, makes sense to get as much help as possible, though one of the key skills a pilot should posess is the ability to go and find stuff out for themselves. I mean this in the kindest possible way and not looking to precipitate a slanging match on here but perhaps some good advice would be to tell your son to sign up for this site and ask those questions himself. That's the kind of attribute CAE will want to see. Whilst being a pilot is a lot about team-work, becoming a pilot will require a massive amount of personal effort.

Another piece of advice, whilst I won't get into a modular vs intergrated debate here, if and when he does get in, delay the training as much as you possibly can to allow time to re-evaluate the state of aviation and the world economy at large. I got offered a place on an intergrated course in summer 2010 and delayed starting till April 2011 to let us get over the recession a little more. This was definately a good move as I waited only 3 weeks for a job afterwards. The longer you leave it, the more time you have to re-assess if it's a good idea right now. Note that I started 3 years after the recession, this one is looking a lot deeper with specific existential threats and barriers to aviation (as opposed to 2008). As much as your son might like the idea, training at the bottom of the market (economy wise) is probably a little too soon. Don't forget there are hundreds of pilots already in the training system that the airlines will have given conditional offers of employment to already, if the airlines start recruiting any time soon, your son will enter the job market behind every single one of these guys. A white tail cadet that graduated in March, just before this all kicked off, wouldn't be going anywhere near an airliner for 2 years I imagine, that's a hell of a backlog of pilots ahead of your son to get through before he starts getting any promising emails.

A final caution, CAEs business will have all but dried up so they'll be offering courses to anyone that waves the money at them. I trained in a recession and am sure that's probably the only reason they took me. Please think critically about any offer made. Assume you will never repay or get the training expenses back, if you can afford that with no real hardship then maybe, otherwise be prepared for the worst.