PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here's something to keep you at the edge of your seat
Old 1st Jun 2020, 07:23
Uplinker

Received 114 Likes on 70 Posts
One of the most useful pieces of advice I was given was to brief a go-around just before you actually do it.

So say to PM "It looks like we might have to go-around. If so, I will simultaneously call 'Go-around....Flap' and pitch up to xx° and push the thrust levers fully forward to set TOGA thrust. I will then read out the FMA. You will check my actions and thrust and monitor our climb and call when it is positive. I will call gear up. Our missed approach altitude is xxx and set. etc. OK, ready?"

(Of course sometimes a go-around must be done immediately but usually there will be a few moments to pre-brief it).

PilotLZ's post sums things up very well and prompts me to roll out again my call for Chief pilots to consider mandating 3 fully manual approaches to land every 6 months, (in appropriate conditions). We used to have to log practice auto-lands like that, and the same protocol could now be transferred to manual flying practice.

This small step should be easy to implement and might begin to address and stop the rusting of our pilot skills.