PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US military test concept of launching cruise missiles out of the back of C130's
Old 31st May 2020, 18:20
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

With the new nav stuff for the missiles and the possibility of active and useful GPS at launch, I like the idea. Hell! Get those 747's outta storage and have them fly about during times of international tension.

I have always dreamed of a buff using a missile to take care of a pesky interceptor. Sucker would be HOJ or a HARM variant with terminal IR guidance. Pop outta the launch tube, slow enuf using the drogue chute, fire the motor and go for it! Unlike old days, no need to lock on before lurch, but that might could work with a good carraige system and missile control scheme.

Problem back in the early 70's for the big missiles was loading a decent launch position in their nav system for the INS to work with, and then having a good mid-course correction to get to the tgt. I had access to the USN Trident missile tech data from the early 80's after the stuff was declassified for "others" to see how good the damned thing was. Imagine hitting a football stadium ( American or the world's type) from a few thousand miles away!?

Having a transport drop a cruise missile on a drougue chute is no big technical challenge.

Gums sends...