PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here's something to keep you at the edge of your seat
Old 31st May 2020, 13:42
misd-agin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Centaurus

Better to push the throttles to high power first, which ensures you have achieved power. Then press TOGA. This avoids the inevitable delay in obtaining high power if, after pressing TOGA, for some reason the throttles fail to advance.
I'd add "and KEEP your hand on the throttles." WIndshear directed go-around. I advanced the throttles and hit the TOGA buttons. I eased the pressure on the throttles and felt them trying to move backwards. At that point I turned the A/T's off and continued with manual thrust. It was probably weeks before I realized why the throttles tried to retard - I'd pushed the 757/767 TOGA buttons on the back of the throttle levers with my thumb...but I had recently transitioned to the 737NG that had the TOGA buttons that you pushed with your index and middle fingertips.

A hyper focus on the pitch attitude or speed, which is common to see, drops the power cross check. It's seen approach, landing, go-around, windshear, terrain avoidance training, etc. It's present in a lot of the accident reports - a lack of awareness of the thrust levels of the engines.