PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2020, 11:37
parkfell

de minimus non curat lex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bud leon
I'm sure Peter Burkill would agree with you.

I don't see anyone saying a lesser standard is acceptable due to cultural differences, the problem is thinking that cultural differences by default result in lower safety standards. It's a simplistic way of looking at things.
BA 038 was on a stabilised approach with John Coward flying it. A double engined failure occurred on short final due to an icing issue. One stage of flap was raised and they ‘impacted’ in the vicinity of the threshold.
Both pilots did their initial training at British Aerospace flying college Prestwick.

The Tenerife accident in 1977 at TFN you have referred to was most certainly a CRM / cultural issue.
The Staines accident in 1971 at LHR was again most likely caused by awful CRM issues.
Kegworth was an eye opener where poor SCCM involvement was most definitely a factor. “Swiss Cheese”

The accidents in the 1970’s with ‘western operators’ were a very distinct wake up call where human factors played a significant part. It would be true to say that a great deal of energy has gone into mitigating these threats and minimising the risks.

Look at the BOAC video posted 0242 on 28 May on this thread. Certainty I had a good laugh at this British culture / CRM Style post World War II.
What is important is that flightdeck styles need to enhance flight safety, with evolvement and develop over time as incidents/accidents occur.

If in 50 years time, the new PPRuNers look back to 2020, they will be having a chuckle at our present CRM as well.
Cultures and CRMs issues play their parts invariably in all accidents.

And for the avoidance of doubt, I am been involved in training not only ‘Asian Muslims’ but others of this Faith from the Middle East, and other Faiths as well for the last 30 years.