PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here's something to keep you at the edge of your seat
Old 31st May 2020, 11:35
Flocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the Airbus you have report of almost accident because of this system, an airfrance plane almost crash (easy to find the report on the BEA website)

When you are light, even more of Go around altitude is low, if you go with 2 engine on TOGA you rocket yourself to the sky, so what some Airbus pilot do is to go all the way to activate TOGA FD, then reduce the trust to climb gate
the PF didn't go all the way to TOGA gate

In the air France, the PF didn't go all the way, so didn't activate FD TOGA, trust went to CLB but FD stay on ILS and same, pilot didn't pay attention of what they were doing and followed the FD until 50ft with overspeed of the flaps ...and finally do the right thing ...

In the Boeing, if you press TOGA switch once with autotrust ON, plane will give you power for your weight for a climb rate of 1000ft/MN if you press a second time TOGA, max trust is set.

No system if perfect and all go advantage in some situation and flaw in other ...

In that case of the incident with the MD, problems for me and people relying too much on automatic and not checking what they do, when I go around (or my FO), I want nose up and trust, once I m sure I m climbing, I can do other stuff ... Because of all those case of accident / incident, I really pay attention of my action or my First officer in case of go around.