PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here's something to keep you at the edge of your seat
Old 31st May 2020, 08:08
Uplinker

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts
As I understand it, yes.

The accident you refer to was caused, I believe, by the pilots trying to be clever, ignoring the SOP and f*****g it up. They decided it would look impressive to rely on the Alpha floor protection system to automatically apply TOGA and lift them off the runway, giving them a touch-and-go without them touching the thrust levers. However, they hadn't read their manuals properly or they would have noticed that Alpha floor protection is inhibited below 100' RA on approach. So the system didn't apply TOGA for them and they crashed.

The only way to manually apply TOGA in the FBW Airbus is to move the thrust levers fully forward. This is a natural instinctive response and there are no other manual TOGA switches to confuse pilots - the levers must be moved fully forward to engage TOGA thrust, (and in this position, the FADECs will not over-thrust or over-heat the engines).

I don't know about the MD82 but in the 737-300/400 go-around the pilot has to: Press a TOGA switch, Push the levers to arm's length, (overriding the back-drive clutches), and then ask PM to set TOGA thrust. More to do in the heat of the moment compared to the Airbus system of simply moving the levers fully forward.

Last edited by Uplinker; 31st May 2020 at 08:21.