PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N72EX (Kobe Bryant) Crash Reconstruction with new ATC Audio
Old 30th May 2020, 13:58
airplanecrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TIMTS
How accurate is the airspeed readout in the video?
The speeds shown in the video are what I would call kinematic speeds (combination of ground speed and vertical velocity from GPS/ADS-B) The speeds shown do not reflect any wind (which I assumed were calm the entire time based upon the METAR at VNY). They also do not reflect effects of air density on indicated air speed. Given those caveats, I think the speeds are pretty close to both TAS and IAS. As a sanity check, the lowest ground speed reported in the flightradar24 ADS-B data for the duration of the video is 109 knots (I would give a link to the data, but I don't yet have that privilege "www.flightradar24.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/N72EX-Granular-Data.csv"). I think the aircraft was well above 60 knots the entire time.

I also note from that ADS-B data the altitude, ground speed, rate of climb, bearing, or turn rate are never constant for the duration of the video. Would one of those be mostly constant, for at least a little while, if the autopilot was engaged?