PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus Boeing 707s and 720s
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2020, 13:55
WHBM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
The arrival of the 747s coincided with the peak of the transatlantic affinity group charter market, and the Aer Lingus 707s seemed, surprisingly, to operate a good number of these from the UK, London to New York or Los Angeles etc. A significant charterer seemed to be the UK student travel organisations. I didn't take them so don't know if they transited via Shannon or ran direct. In pre-EU days Aer Lingus must have had some agreement to be able to handle 5th freedom charters like this from Britain, their One-Eleven fleet were regulars for sports teams out of Manchester etc to Europe.

The 720s were a poor initial choice, they sometimes couldn't even make Shannon to New York without a refuelling stop. I only saw one once, wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it myself but at Bristol Lulsgate in about 1968 a midweek winter's inbound Viscount from Dublin was on the board as 2 hours late, and when it turned up was a 720, with maybe 35 passengers. I always thought Aer Lingus would have done better with the fan engine conversion of them into 720Bs, which were way more capable, rather than buying new larger 707-320Cs. Well done Boeing salesmen.