PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2020, 13:28
Lonewolf_50

Received 408 Likes on 254 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
Dude, did you actually read the posts in question? NO ONE ever blamed the non-moving throttles. The entire throttle discussion was a thread drift regarding the Asiana (NOT Korean) accident at SFO, where the issue discussed was the lack of proper differences training when transitioning between Airbus and Boeing.
I'm honestly sorry I ever brought it up.
Not your fault: mea culpa. (I believe I brought up SFO before you offered you insights, and it was a diversion having to do with a grossly off-speed approach). Another interesting variation on "do you know what your power is?" and crew awareness is here; perhaps "gear awareness" and "power awareness" are related at the cognitive level.

A few posts up there was a discussion in culture and its effects on the performance of pilots and ATC. Then a shorter one regarding the tension between ATC and certain Captains in a different place. What will the report say about those factors?

It seems unfair to me to point a finger at a tower operator if the crew forgets to lower the gear. Besides that being a crew role fundamentally, and the points about 'can you see that they are up or down clearly?', what else has Tower's attention as a given flight arrives over the threshold? As this post (the reasoning fits what is so far known) suggests, the tower seems to have been become aware of a gear-up pass after the first set of sparks as the cowlings scraped the runway.

A previous post mentions "was this flight on-time or not" and how does that influence the crew and crew day? As a contributor to crew mental fatigue, length of crew day will hopefully be covered in the report.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 30th May 2020 at 14:02.