PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2020, 09:50
Three Wire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many years ago, PIA received its first 747. The flight was scheduled into Lahore (the capital city) turned around, and with the same crew flew the final sector to Karachi of the delivery flight.
The crew landed gear up! The aircraft was laboriously recovered and refurbished in the maintenance base at Karachi.

What was the final outcome? ATC was required to change their proceidures. Approach, at Marvi (or abeam it) transmits "Check gears down." I never heard a crew transmit "gear down/3 green" or any of the other permutations.
(mainly because no crew would have the gear down at that point.)
On transfer to Tower after 1500 ft, the Tower reponds with "...., check gears down", I would respond with "three green fullstop" but I never heard anybody else respond with anything but the routine "Clear to land, XX123"

Can the Tower see you? probably not, even with high power binoculars, until the aircraft is in close. Even then, although the Tower guy can issue a " XX123 go-around", that is probably not what most operators would say.

Sadly at KHI, the last defence outside the cockpit is deficient in KHI for a number of reasons, mostly to do with the guys inside the cockpit.

I had 24 years of flying widebodies to Karachi, that is a lot of experience.