PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2020, 09:29
NOC40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hot 'n' High
As several have suggested, what is taught and what is done need not be the same in some places. Years ago as a new PPL was flying a 172 in the Far East with "safety pilot" back into a small International airport. On left base with B737 quite close by on final. Was about to orbit for separation when Instructor said continue. Almost at the same time ATC "B737, one right hand orbit present position!" and I chugged onto final and landed with said 737 circling just behind me. I looked at the instructor in amazement as we rolled out and he said "Take your time - don't rush! Being the (national airline) 737 Fleet Captain has its perks!".

I learned a bit about Cultures from that one event I tell you! H 'n' H
I had a a similar experience in Amman airport in Jordan. I'd just landed my hang glider (didn't need all the 3300m of runway...) and had exited off the side. Tower didn't know where I was exactly and told me there was a C130 on finals, and "would I like them to send it round". Cursing myself to this day I didn't, just because I don't think I'll ever get that chance again! A little later we had Apaches aerotaxiing past. Not a comfortable feeling watching the guns swivel to point at you as the crew looked at you :-0