PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N72EX (Kobe Bryant) Crash Reconstruction with new ATC Audio
Old 30th May 2020, 01:12
Sir HC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sure appreciate task saturation, having done my fair share of both two crew and SPIFR. The NTSB report you referenced looks like he forgot to activate the approach and follow the glide slope and then failed to properly sequence to GA mode when he realized that he was full scale deflection.

In my opinion, the two accidents are vastly different, with the Delaware one, the pilot having to fulfill a clearance, a busy cockpit with a FD not giving useful information, reading back clearances etc etc.

Kobe's accident, all the guy had to do was pull pitch and climb, no airspace to contend with, no clearance to get/maintain, no icing to deal with, he didn't even need to talk to SoCal. I think the decision to continue IMC in a VFR only helicopter would be weighing on him, but he sounded pretty calm on that radio call. As I first said, I just find it unfathomable that an ATPL with even the bare instrument rating couldn't maintain a heading and airspeed, I believe there had to be something else that added to his workload.