PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Valley: Unauthorised landing and take-off
Old 30th May 2020, 00:21
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Sitting outside the mess at Seletar one Sunday afternoon. The airfield was closed, no fire section personnel on duty and ATC shut and locked. All of a sudden I saw an AAC Beaver from the flight based at Seletar land on the runway and taxy to its usual dispersal. I was Station Fire Officer, so I called SATCO in his MQ and asked him if he knew anything about this. He didnt, and told me to leave it to him. Upshot was that the next morning the pilot of the Beaver got a massive bollocking for landing at the airfield when it was closed. The pongoes were genuinely puzzled and aggrieved, they said they regularly operated out of up country strips with no fire cover, etc, so they couldn't see what the fuss was about, and in one respect I could see they had a point. Different situation to the one we are discussing, but I was just reminded of my incident by it.

Some overshot, some rolled (1995 phraseology))
More thread drift, I was talking about rollers on another forum, and one chap said he had never heard the term before. Is it all touch and go now? Have to say that sitting in the back of a Victor tanker in the 70s a lot of our landings seemed touch and go