PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2020, 21:29
homebuilt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, I cannot buy the question of fixed throttles (Airbus) or moving ones (Boeing). In my opinion it’s unlikely it has anything to deal with this accident. I guess many of us here started flying on poorly automated aircraft, let alone the Cessnas, Piper, Jodel, Robin, Stampe, Tiger Moth we learnt to fly on (and still fly, in my own case).

What do we do when at the controls of these, and of the Classic 747s, DC8, DC9s, Focker 27s and B727s we used to fly ? We set a preset power value, eg for example 1.15 EPR, 5000 in/lbs torque, 45% N1, or 1750 rpm on a fixed-pitch prop piston aircraft. And we set a pitch attitude, relevant with sequence of flight and airplane weight and configuration.

So while moving throttles, we look at power gauges and visually set proper value. Furthermore, on all aircraft but tail mounted jets, engine sound can be helpul. Then, as a former Boeing airman, I obviously learnt to do the same while feeling the autothrottle moving in my hands. And, then, some years ago I switched to the A330 and its fixed throttles. What am I doing when flying an Autothrust approach ? I’m still monitoring engine power gauges every 5 seconds or so... I cannot imagine any pilot doing otherwise.

So in the case of this terrible accident, I don’t think fixed throttles were an issue. If all what has been said before is true, ie ‘‘supersonic’’ speed, descent path, pitch attitude and vertical speed à-la space shuttle, these unhappy guys were not in condition to fly an aircraft. Poor training ? Poor CRM ? Poor physical condition due to ramadan ? Lack of recent experience ? Hopefully future will say..