PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JobKeeper and Aviation employees in Oz.
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2020, 11:43
Hasherucf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would have liked to see more help for the Aviation industry from the government. Many of us are facing a career change and fast tracking us into another career would help the economy. For example Pilots as Loco drivers or Engineers as Fitters or Electricians.

I've looked into the uni short courses on offer from the government incentive and many are aimed towards Health care professionals or Teachers. Two groups that shouldn't be out of work at the moment. Also most require a degree to apply and as most aviation workers haven't required that in the past, as our licences are our more important paperwork, we are ineligible. Not one uni is offering a Graduate Certificate in Aviation!

I don't blame universities as this was sprung upon them by a government scrambling to get anything happening. Aviation will be the hardest sector to restart , just the training and fuel sectors will take time to ramp up. I think the travel industry (60% domestic , soon to be 99%) and hospitality will bounce back easier.

I'm unsure how long our global isolationist stance can last as most of the world moves through the pandemic. Government ministers catchphrase I have heard a lot is "We bought ourselves time". Hinting maybe to a full expose to the virus in the future. Certainly if a vaccine is unsuccessful there will need to be a plan B... through to Z . Certainly aviation sector jobs will start appearing overseas well before Australia rebounds.