PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2020, 19:23
Lee Baker Street

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think Positive!

Originally Posted by LTNman
The council has a long history of giving the airport operator rebates on concession income which is then passed onto airlines to encourage new services. I believe this ended when the airport reached capacity last year.

Wizz now has not only the airport operator over a barrel but also the Council. Who is paying who now comes to mind.
LTNman we are both old-school and whilst you come across as pessimistic I am your opposite in that I am an optimist. I recall many years ago when EasyJet’s concession for some of its routes ended. LBC stood its ground and subsequently EasyJet continued with growth at LTN. This current economic downfall is temporary but I believe that once passenger levels start growing once more, so will LTN. One thing I hope we agree on is that LTN has a fantastic catchment area which is reflected by a phenomenal growth these last few years. I was very saddened by the demise of Monarch but Wizzair UK more than doubled Monarchs loss. Equally if any airline were to reduce its presence at LTN there are other airlines who would be more than happy to take over those routes. The likes of Jet2 should never be ruled out because I constantly hear good things about that airline that makes me wish they operated from LTN. Over the decades- Britannia was the dominant airline, then came Ryanair, then came EasyJet and possibly today is Wizzair but history dictates there could be someone else in the future if the current airlines rest on their laurels!