PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erasing Safety?
Thread: Erasing Safety?
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2020, 14:52
De_flieger

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying_higher
I have to say I find some of these posts really quite funny.....

In terms of ‘I’d much rather know they were there’, I find this a ridiculous premise. So are you going to fly over a perfectly good forced landing paddock to glide to a place you know ‘was’ there? Or do you need to divert to a place because you’ve planned poorly? I can guarantee you there are many many unverified locations that are either in the wrong place, have been ploughed or are now housing estates. And if you ‘know it was there’ why do you need a chart when you’re in the sh!t anyway?
I'm so glad you're amused. How about none of the above? I fly in a lot of regional/remote areas and I won't be landing or diverting to any of these unverified possible strips either, but I don't want to fly straight through someone else's circuit pattern if they've set up a basic ALA. For clarity, if there's nothing whatsoever present, its been bulldozed or built over, the markings should be removed from the chart, but having had a look on Google Earth at a couple of Lead Balloon's locations, there appears to be some form of airstrips present at those places, so I'd rather not fly through their circuit patterns. Having some form of marking on a chart indicating that "hey, theres an airstrip here called Bloggs Field, nothing more about it is known" seems like a reasonable way to do this.

Last edited by De_flieger; 28th May 2020 at 15:16.