PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easy Jet job cuts
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2020, 12:35
NorvernSuvna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW as a piece of SLF, who's flight to TFS has not been cancelled yet ( ex LTN 18th June ) but sure will be, I can only make the following observation. Apart from my brother, who is cabin crew with a UK airline, I know of nobody in my family circle, friends nor business contacts who is contemplating flying as a passenger anytime soon, and probably not before this time next year. Why ? many reasons, first and foremost people are sceptical about avoiding COVID-19 whilst being transported in a sealed tube full of other people. They also wonder what awaits them 'on the other side' - are all the facilities open, is everywhere they want to visit open ? What if they become ill with the virus whilst overseas ?

the other consideration is that, travelling by air in general, has become a heavily regimented and time consuming procedure prior to boarding, understandably post 9/11. However, you can now add to the list, distancing, wearing of masks, not being able to consume food or drink on board, and having to 'put yer hand up' to use the loo. So air travel will no longer be any pleasure, but a chore for those that do not need to travel.

So what I am trying to say is, if all the people that I know , who generally take at least 1 overseas holiday per year and at least one continental 'city' break per annum, are not intersested in flying any time soon, then aviation and travel are going to be really badly affected for the forseeable future. Obviously attitudes will soften over time with confidence, and hopefully a viable treatment or vaccine, but I anticipate such a time will be at least a year in the coming. So all airlines are going to have to reduce their outgoings as a matter of urgency to survive. BALPA and co can complain all they want, but the ultimate 'boss' on this issue is the virus and the lack of passenger confidence that accompanies it.

Of course, I hope I am wrong !