PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA to RAF
Thread: BA to RAF
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2020, 10:15
Juan Tugoh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chugalug2
JT:-

Why this emphasis on secondment (nee sabbatical)? What difference does it make to the RAF if a pilot is seconded from BA (what other airline would be able to offer secondment in today's lockdown situation?), or has been threatened with or been made redundant by their employers? They are all equally assessed and made/not made offers presumably. Or are they? No doubt the BACC attitude is that BALPA members of other airlines should approach their company CC's/PLC's for similar schemes to BA's, but we all know that isn't going to happen. What we do know is that the BACC draws its strength from the combined membership of BALPA and from their subs, and BALPA has a moral duty to all its members to ensure equal opportunities for re-employment as far as is reasonably possible .

Right, that's the soapbox oration out of the way and I'll step down from it if someone could kindly give me a hand. Thank you....
Why the emphasis on BA secondments? Simple, if you you think about it for a moment; that’s what this thread is about. The clue is that the title of the thread is “BA to RAF.”

What other CCs and the companies they are employed by is between those CCs, their respective companies and the MOD. This project is a BACC project, BA and the RAF (and other services) are engaged with it. What others do is up to them.

The BACC represents exclusively BA pilots. If BALPA and the NEC wish to try to arrange something across the industry then that is for them to do. There is no moral obligation on the BACC to represent any other group of pilots, only those of BA. Any member of BALPA is free to contact their respective CCs and try to organise something similar, the BACC were first, that is all.

Given the representation of ex service pilots in other companies I don’t doubt their respective CCs are already on it, but that is a matter for them.

Secondment because there will be a return clause for the BA pilots. Other companies will do as they see fit, but if there is no right to return, all they would be doing is acting as a recruitment portal for the services and the RAF (and I guess others) already have that.

If you feel BALPA has some kind of moral duty to level the playing field for all then write to them and lobby them.