PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Auster - Help wanted please!!
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2003, 17:29
QDMQDMQDM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should join the International Auster Club if you are interested -- it is excellent. Next you need to see and fly in a variety of Austers. They're an enthusiast's aircraft. If you're prepared and capable to do a lot of the work yourself then they can be a reasonable proposition. If you're looking at an engineering shop doing it, then beware.

If you're ever down Eggesford way, let me know and I'll get you shown round and taken up. We have well over a dozen Austers based here of all shapes and sizes and all engines and some of the stalwarts of the Auster Club. One of our leading lights here has over 2500 hours in Austers and has rebuilt many of them. He likes Austers partly because he still finds them a challenge to fly and handle on the ground -- there's a message in that! We currently have several in rebuild here.

I looked at an Auster and ended up with a cub because I am a hamfisted, time-poor klutz who likes flying not tinkering and that was even despite knowing that I would base it at the centre of the Auster known universe.

QDM