PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JobKeeper and Aviation employees in Oz.
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2020, 07:32
zanzibar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was until recently employed but am now stood down. I cannot access Job Keeper because of the ownership status of my employer. Now, whilst my income is modest (permanent part-timer), the break-up of how the tax I’ve paid is representative of how everyone’s tax dollars are spent. I’ve attached my most recent tax receipt for reference.

In it you will see that around 40% of my tax liability goes towards welfare. I am quite happy about that.

You will also see that my tax dollars go towards Health, Defence, Education, Transport and Communication, Public Order and Safety, Foreign Affairs and Economic Aid, Housing, Industry Assistance and several other components. I am also quite happy about all that as I see it as part of my role as a tax paying citizen towards making Australia the great country that it is. This is so for all Australian taxpayers irrespective of the ownership of their employer.

I make the point that I contribute to Australia as does every other tax payer but, because of an arbitrary ruling, I am denied assistance when it is needed. Because of my age I am not entitled to Job Seeker, so, no support whatsoever despite never, ever having made a call for any benefits over 40 odd years of working. If my employer wasn’t foreign owned at least I’d qualify for Job Keeper until the decision is made as to my redundancy or otherwise. I cannot see where this exclusion is fair, just and reasonable.

I note that the government’s total debt last year was $546 billion. IF the entire $60 billion that is spoken of was spent (which in itself is debatable), it would result in a modest 11% debt increase overall. It would roughly result in an increase in interest repayments of around $2 billion/year. It sounds a lot but in terms of relativity it isn’t. Is that too big a price to pay to have all Australian workers treated uniformly?

Last edited by zanzibar; 29th May 2020 at 02:47. Reason: grammar and spelling