PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2020, 01:09
krismiler

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
If the "RETARD" call had occurred at 20', and I can find no reference that having the gear up would prevent it, the PF automatically retards the thrust levers just like on every other landing. When the go-around decision is made the levers have to go from 0 through CL and MCT detents before TOGA i.e. 3 clicks. With a go-around in the air the levers go from CL through MCT into TOGA i.e. 2 clicks. That extra step can easily be omitted as most missed approaches occur before the levers have been retarded. As stated in an earlier post, this was a baulked landing and possibly extra training is needed to differentiate them.

CRM training has largely been successful in western countries, in the past there were problems particularly during the 1960/70s with former WW2 RAF pilots in BOAC/BEA/BA. Older PPruners might recall the "bomber buggers" who commanded their crews in the same manner as they would on a bombing mission in a Lancaster. Unfortunately some airlines still lag well behind in the CRM area.