PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2020, 15:29
excrab

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicbum
Are we seriously spending several pages of thread to discuss the fact that ATC should cross check if the landing gear is down and locked ? Come on... let's discuss -as much as possibile given the data- the likely root cause of the event so we can learn something from it.
As I said in an earlier post, it is a couple of years since I’ve been to Karachi, but every time I went there the tower controller always said something along the lines of “surface wind blah blah blah, cleared to land check gear down and locked” The problem is they generally cleared us to land well before intercepting the glide slope so we didn’t have the gear down and locked. But we never told them that, just acknowledged the clearance and followed our SOPs as to when configure for landing.
I think I read somewhere on about page 1000 of this thread that they didn’t talk to the tower, but even if they did, if they were told to “check gear down and locked”, and were regular visitors to Karachi they would possibly have been in the habit of ignoring the call anyway, even if they heard it.