PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2020, 14:33
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Common , guys, forget this idea of having ATC checking if the gear is down or not. .we are not in a small local VFR local airport checking Bonanzas.. We are talking large civil multi runways airports with large capacity . operating 24/7 in all wx conditions . Also when visibility is less than 10 Km and at night..
We are also not in the military where less than ergonomic types are being flown single pilot, where indeed you have to confirm in the R/T , or initiate an electric confirmation like the" beep-beep" mentioned above which is as far as I know still standard in many types, ( like the Fouga Magister I was flying in the french air force when I was younger )
@Krismiller :
with more modern ATC systems would it not be possible to have an alarm sound if an approaching aircraft is way out of acceptable parameters ?
You mean during the approach phase? ( TWRs normally do not have radar) I see the idea but for what purpose ? why creating a monster to solve a case in a few millions ? Is landing forgetting the gear a problem today in ANY airliner ? as to the speed/altitude/ROD it differs so much from type to type , and again, is this a real issue causing many accidents needing to be solved asap ?

Last edited by ATC Watcher; 27th May 2020 at 14:40. Reason: addition