PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2020, 13:24
krismiler

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm sure any Air Traffic Controller would prefer not to have an accident occurring during their shift, with more modern ATC systems would it not be possible to have an alarm sound if an approaching aircraft is way out of acceptable parameters ? If I have a V/S of - 1500 fpm at 1000' I can probably still land but will be looking at a meeting with the Chief Pilot soon afterwards, whereas V/S - 2500 fpm and VREF + 40 at the same position is a whole different matter. Alerts are triggered for altitude deviations, terrain clearance and possible collisions with other aircraft, so why not for an excessive descent rate at low level or a groundspeed which makes an overrun likely ?

Human factors and CRM training have had a major effect in improving safety and have been around long enough to be a known and proven concept but appear to be not as effective in some cultures when compared to others. The strong authority Captains who the crew are afraid to speak out with, are very much a dying breed in the west, either eliminated in the selection process or forced to change their ways by management. First Officers are encouraged to speakout and report safety concerns. Unfortunately this isn't true in all countries, and a junior first officer challenging an ex military senior Captain would be unthinkable, sometimes with tragic results. I'm sure we can all think of the regions and airlines where this applies.

Back when I was getting my PPL, we had a very conscientious controller in the tower who would check retractable aircraft had their wheels out when issuing a landing clearance and she saved a few insurance claims. Noted that this involved light aircraft with less reliable undercarriage systems and lesser experienced pilots.