PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2020, 12:32
LookingForAJob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re the suggestions that ATC should have done something....
Aircraft commander is responsible for the operation of the aircraft - that is how it should be. But we are all human and we can all err. ATC has always been able to take decisions and issue instructions or advice to aircraft if it appears that an aircraft may be in a dangerous situation. The text below - my bold - is related to surveillance services but includes instructions from aerodrome control. And, hopefully, a lack of wheels on short final would be considered sufficient grounds to advise the pilot or issue a go-around instruction, either directly or via the approach controller. I am of what appears to be the old school - even though the pilot is responsible for the aircraft, I still like to see an aerodrome controller keeping an eye on what is going on outside when he/she is able. No guarantee that the controller will spot something amiss, but it might close one of those holes in the cheese.

Originally Posted by From ICAO Doc 4444 PANS-ATM
8.9.6.1.8 An aircraft making a radar approach should: a) be directed to execute a missed approach in the following circumstances: i) when the aircraft appears to be dangerously positioned on final approach; or ii) for reasons involving traffic conflictions; or iii) if no clearance to land has been received from the procedural controller by the time the aircraft reaches a distance of 4 km (2 NM) from touchdown or such other distance as has been agreed with the aerodrome control tower; or iv) on instructions by the aerodrome controller; or b) be advised to consider executing a missed approach in the following circumstances: i) when the aircraft reaches a position from which it appears that a successful approach cannot be completed; or ii) if the aircraft is not visible on the situation display for any significant interval during the last 4 km (2 NM) of the approach; or iii) if the position or identification of the aircraft is in doubt during any portion of the final approach. In all such cases, the reason for the instruction or the advice should be given to the pilot.