PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2020, 12:16
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krismiler
This crew were in excess of normal parameters by about double, ATC should have the authority to discontinue an approach when it exceedes normal plus a certain percentage, unless a MAYDAY call has been made. I don't want to be told to go around because I had VS - 1100 fpm briefly at 1000' but if a safe landing is in doubt, it's a further safety layer. Complying with an ATC instruction enables the crew to save face, anyone who has flown in Asian knows how important that is, and it cuts through confusion and tunnel vision.

In aircraft carrier operations, the Landing Signals Officer has full authority to "Wave Off" any approaching aircraft if it deviates from set parameters. I'm not suggesting this is needed at civil airports, but safety might be improved if ATC were to enforce a "gate" on arriving aircraft which if not met would result in an immediate instruction to go-around.
This is not how ATC works and Controllers have generally no idea of detailed aircraft performance. And where do you draw the line ? a 10 degree vertical profile can be performed by large jets in KTM for instance. It is up to the PIC and only the PIC to decide if the landing is feasible or not. .We should not attempt to shift responsibilities to outside of the cockpit, as by doing so you will create far more issues than you will potentially solve, .

Now the ATC R/T
I was refraining from continuing commenting on that part before as nearly always nowadays after an accident in this forum , , the amateurs are jumping in pretending to be either airline pilots or controllers and making stupid statements .. after a couple of days they are generally gone and we can start discussing more seriously.
Looking at facts so far and the videos photos posted, 2 things bother me
This heading 180 given by the Approach controller after aircraft reported being established on ILS , , you simply do not do this unless the runway is blocked or something . The other one is the fact that apparently no mention of the gear issue was made on the R/T prior the first landing.This is highly unusual to say the least. .
As I said earlier on , we have to be careful on exchanges recorded by spotters using hand held scanners . I strongly believe the R/T transcript posted is most probably not complete and we are missing important exchanges.

I can think of a couple of scenarios that will make a lot of sense if there were only 2 or 3 additional R/T exchanges.