PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 27th May 2020, 08:09
thetimesreader84

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RexBanner
There’s legal difficulties around making someone redundant (an FO) and then immediately parachuting someone else (a Captain) into their seat. Flybe knew this in 2013. I suspect that’s one of the reasons why BA have split the number between ranks.
BALPA are, according to the recent Zoom meeting, pushing hard for us to be considered as one pilot body (as opposed to 747 pilots, LGW Pilots, etc), and think they have a very good chance of BA agreeing. The implications of that are fairly straightforward, P1s will be demoted on their fleet, surplus fleets will be retrained, the bottom X of the MSL will be cut via a LIFO+ matrix. All absolutely legal, at least as far as my tame HR family member can see. The X variable will depend on whatever concessions and mitigation’s they will find, but I’d be absolutely amazed if it’s 0.

Personally I think it’ll be a big number, well into 3 figures (but I have no special inside knowledge). I really, truly, honestly hope it isn’t, but hope doesn’t pay the mortgage.

BALPA want to save as many jobs as they can, but it’s probably easier for them to save the more senior pilots than those at the bottom.