PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2020, 08:04
Uplinker

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by EDLB
Does this matter? Any 100h FO should and will make a better job than this one..............
It might matter if - and this is purely hypothetical on my part - if there was a CRM problem where a Captain who was very autocratic and ego led, made a series of very bad decisions and a timid F/O felt they could not override them until it was too late.

F/Os are told to take control if a Captain is going badly wrong, but F/Os are not, as far as I know, ever actually trained in how to do this. Nor are they ever tested for it in my experience. Some of us are willing and able to take control, from a Captain who might be very senior and scary, others might be meek and timid - able and fully competent to safely land the plane if the Captain became incapacitated, but not able to wrest control from a (conscious) domineering and aggressive Captain.

If - again hypothetically - two Captains were on the flight deck, CRM problems could also arise: If the Captain in the LHS was the other Captain's boss, the junior Captain might not feel they could point out the mistakes of the senior guy and might have kept hoping he would eventually get it sorted. The SFO 777 that crashed short was an example of a junior Captain being unwilling to correct his boss.

Cabin crew get training in how to approach and talk to angry passengers etc, and calm them down, but I have never seen the scenario of an F/O overriding a difficult Captain addressed in CRM courses.

(I am not saying that any of this applied in the Karachi crash, I am just making a general point about CRM. Why such a poorly executed approach was continued rather than them going around and doing it again properly, absolutely mystifies me).