PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ pilot redundancies
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2020, 02:29
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Inverted Flat Spin
There’s nothing in the AFFA to prevent further redundancies. The numbers would have to be based around 60hrs rather than optimal IP, as that’s what saved jobs.

It would be a down training disaster... Most F20s would be gone. Junior C20s would only have notional seniority to be SOs.

Fingers crossed it doesn’t happen.
I'd say it all comes down to the timing. The AFFA states the following:

4.4 The parties acknowledge that this temporary Variation has been agreed as
part of considering alternatives to compulsory redundancies, and the parties
agree that as an outcome of this temporary Variation, any savings achieved
will be taken into consideration in determining the number and timing of any
redundancies including, but not limited to, the likely number of redundancies
will reduce by 74 pilots. At the time of ratification of this temporary Variation,
it is acknowledged by the parties that the final number of redundancies is still
to be confirmed.
A further 17 jobs were saved through voluntary measure which took the total to 91.

If Air NZ chops another 100 in 12 months time, I'd tend to agree, the AFFA doesn't prevent that. If they do so a month after the AFFA was signed however, I'd suggest the Company was not bargaining in good faith. Lets also not forget those who took early retirement, LWOP or 50% contracts on the basis it would save jobs as well.
The excuse that "things have changed" doesn't carry much weight in my opinion, as the depth of COVID was felt before the numbers were finalized. The Coalition stated a long time ago they planned to keep the borders closed long term (possibly until a Vaccine). If anything, things are improving slightly with talks of a Tasma/South Pacific bubble.

However, for now, this is mostly academic, as agree with your position. The Company gave us a notional list predicted on April 2021... it's only a week old (maybe 2?) and nothings changed in that time. Once the process starts, taking another swipe at the bottom will invalidate the entire process and they'll have to start again.