PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - controllers with broken english
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2003, 14:02
yachtpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK Rananim and others... let's get back to the basics... the original Q on the thread was to do with Controllers Using Broken English.. The problem being that it's difficult for all concerned to be aware of what is being asked or required... the same problem occurs if more than one language is being used... The problem then is to do with communication...
To say that language problems have only been contributory is farcical...50 years ago it was not uncommon for a major accident to occur because someone made one silly mistake... those days are gone because we've learned better to protect ourselves and our passengers with SOP's and back-up equipment, almost all aviation accidents today have multiple contributory factors...that is why it's so difficult to abolish them completely...that doesn't meen we simply don't try !
The Dan-Air accident ( as I mentioned earlier in this thread ) was largely as a result of the controllers very poor English... an instruction was mis-understood..the crew drove into a mountain.... The Zagreb collision might have been avoided had the instruction to climb been given on the frequency in English...In both these accidents the controllers were under unfair pressure... but that's when we all make mistakes...poor communication whether from equipment problems, language problems or whatever has probably been a factor in many accidents down the years....the reason we do not call ' Ready for Take-Off' is a direct result of the worst accident in the history of aviation... the words 'take-off' are now only to be used first by the controller and then confirmed by the aircraft... if details such as this are considered vitaly important how can you realistically argue that it's safe to use more than one language.... the fact that it hasn't happened to YOU ( yet ) ... doesn't meen that it's safe....Again, as I pointed out before... I, my crew plus the crew and pasengers of a Fokker 100 and who knows how many people on the ground beneath us escaped death because a cloud was no bigger than it was... that to me is not an acceptable risk...