PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2020, 00:38
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gearlever
Come on guys. Select the G/L down on your next flight at 280 kts, decelerate below 260 kts and wait for the dunlops.
And then go home and wait for a call from the Safety folks when they see the FOQA/QAR data.

Originally Posted by Milvus Milvus
That looks like 210kts touchdown ! Unbelievable...
I watched one of those Takbir One arrivals while I was on the ground at DXB waiting for pax boarding years ago. The controller repeatedly mentioned that the plane was high on path and offered vectors for another try. The plane touched down halfway down the runway but it was a long runway on a clear day so they got it stopped.

After landing the plane taxied to a stand. The pax got out and some, instead of heading for Dubai Duty Free, consulted each other for the Qibla and said a prayer on the ramp. And then they headed for Duty Free I would imagine.

The expat controller in the tower said 'glad you were able to get it on the ground'. The captain pitched a fit on the radio demanding 'explain comment, explain comment!'

Originally Posted by vilas
This crash is exact replica of AirIndia Express B737crash on the same date ten years ago in Mangalore India.

Very similar in some respects. Total disregard for the proper approach profile and stable approach criteria. The FO called for a go around at least three times. They crossed the marker at over 4000 feet and touched down 5200 feet down an 8000 foot runway. They attempted a go around after deploying the thrust reversers with 800 feet of runway remaining.

The CVR had the expat captain snoring for an hour and forty minutes before top of descent. The NTSB might blame the crash on sleep apnea these days, they analyzed the data from a pilot's CPAP machine in one recent report.

I'd like to think this sort of approach is becoming less acceptable in some parts of the world.

Last edited by Airbubba; 26th May 2020 at 00:53.