PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2020, 17:14
siropalomar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Milvus Milvus
I have read elsewhere
"A seperate safety valve is also incorporated. This shuts off hydraulic pressure to the actuators when the aircraft exceeds 260kt, and restores pressure only when the gear lever is selected down with the aircraft below 260kt."

This implies that the Gear will come down when "Selected", so if the lever is already down when reducing below 260kt does the lever need to be recycled for the system to detect a "selection"
I fly A330, been flying A320 too. FCOM states literally what you state. Type rating Instructors tell me that during simulator sessions Landing gear will come down when speed falls below 260 kt , no need to recycle Lng Gear lever. In that case, if they landed with gear retracted, it means they simply didn’t select Gear down. Obviously plenty of aural warnings (“too low gear, too low gear”) and ECAM Warning “landing gear not down” up to the moment they struck the runway. That is what we call “tunnel vision”, pilots exclusively centred on getting the plane on the runway, disregarding everything else. Let’s wait for the voice recorders reading, maybe the copilot was yelling “we’re too fast, too high, or please go around” all the way down. It’s happened before.