PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2020, 01:50
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by krismiler
I was questioning the location of critical components underneath the engine with the Sioux City DC10 in mind, a turbine failure managed to sever all the hydraulic lines due to them being concentrated in a small area. Standard military doctrine is to spread things out, be it soldiers not bunching up whilst on patrol or aircraft parked close together. Unfortunately it appears that aircraft engines don't offer too much freedom in this area.
The focus on engine component separation is 'engine to engine' isolation - i.e. any single mechanical failure will only affect one engine. Separation wise, this is mainly applied to cross engine debris - it's not possible to completely eliminate the risk (if that theoretical infinite energy 1/3 fan disc impacts the other engine, there isn't much you can do about it) - the emphasis is to minimize the risk.
I suppose one might argue that a wheels up landing is a 'single failure' - it would take multiple failures or mistakes to get there, with the further mistake of attempting a go-around after impacting the runway with the engines.
There is only so much the designers can do to protect against bad or suicidal piloting.