PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2020, 01:01
giggitygiggity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by asdf1234
I think the original poster was emphasizing that his airline has a strict adherence to initiating a GA if not stabilized at 1,000ft. No doubt they too get champagne for a GA initiated at 1,000ft. Pushing on with an unstabilized approach below 1,000ft has disciplinary consequences. Just Culture has its place when dealing with unintentional errors whereas deliberately breaking company SOP at such a critical phase of flight requires disciplinary action.
I disagree. You say ‘pushing on’ but there may be a million reasons why this error wasn’t noticed; and consequently trapped at the appropriate gate. Swiss cheese and all.

I’m sure the PIC didn’t set off to work that morning with a explicit plan to disregard SOPs. It is incumbent on an airline to investigate why this gate might not have enabled the trapping of an error, rather than just fire the PIC involved. I’m not saying that in this case it’s excusable, but that it should be investigated fairly and a just culture applied rather than an immediate escalation to disciplinary proceedings and the assumed cover-up applied for the sake of the share price.

If you fire people based solely on the FDM, your crew will get very good at flying the FDM rather than the aircraft.