PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2020, 00:14
asdf1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by giggitygiggity
Blimey, demoting someone for going around is hardly a just culture. Maybe that might be a necessary if the same thing keeps happening time after time, but that behaviour is a failure of the FDM, safety department and the training (re-training) system if they can't put the guy right.

Landing unstable at my outfit would result in a temporary withdrawl from flying duties until an quick investigation and subsequent retraining package is provided (if deemed necessary). They often put send the guilty party to a room or a videochat and play back the FDM and ask you for your opinion, it's an open and inquisitive discussion rather than a dressing-down. I haven't had this personally but friend did for a bit of a rushed approach where they forgot the gear (a bit of swiss cheese due to ATC pressure requesting a 1200ft platform and a 4-5nm final for an ILS), they went around at 750ft with the master caution and landed safely 5 mins later. The facts and FDM were the sum of his debrief - food for thought, not a punitive slap on the wrist, but demonstrating the findings of the investigation. For most normal pilots, that should be a bit of a kick up the backside to get you to slow it down and tell ATC unable. Obviously if the pilot still thinks they did nothing wrong, questions will have to be asked.

On the other hand, a pilot going around at 500ft because they're unstable here will probably result in the award of a bottle of champagne. This works well in the Europe and we don't crash planes due to unstable approaches. Your milage may vary elsewhere in the world.
I think the original poster was emphasizing that his airline has a strict adherence to initiating a GA if not stabilized at 1,000ft. No doubt they too get champagne for a GA initiated at 1,000ft. Pushing on with an unstabilized approach below 1,000ft has disciplinary consequences. Just Culture has its place when dealing with unintentional errors whereas deliberately breaking company SOP at such a critical phase of flight requires disciplinary action.