PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2020, 08:05
double_barrel

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by double_barrel
The thing I find surprising about the emerging hypothesis, is that it seems to require equivalent damage with almost identical consequences to two engines/systems following a double pod impact. I wonder if there will be lessons in improved redundancy?
The thing that has struck me as surprising was the apparently symmetrical damage to both engines with near identical consequences/timelines following a bang on the rwy. But I think the latest Broncolirio update offers some insights into this

Broncolirio focuses on the accessory gearbox (AGB) which powers all fuel, oil, hydraulics for/from each engine. It looks like a hard bang could displace this unit which is mounted in a vulnerable area and represents a common point of failure. Any displacement would likely shear the drive shaft from the engine or cause sufficient misalignment for the entire unit to seize. I had previously imagined a maze of plumbing and pumps couldn't understand a perfectly symmetrical set of consequences from an arbitrary whack on the rwy. The AGB seems to provide a credible mechanism for this.