PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2020, 02:30
Ollie Onion

Received 222 Likes on 77 Posts
It seems to me that there is a pretty clear picture of the events here. Extremely Unstable Approach with 3,500' at 5 nm (if ATC points out how high you are then you need to worry), Overspeed warning was sounding in the background during Landing Clearance, deep touchdown as evidenced by the data. GO AROUND was commenced but as per EMIRATES and JETSTAR is wasn't executed properly and the Gear was selected up prior to a confirmed positive climb, JETSTAR and AIRFRANCE have both done this and got away with it when the aircraft got to below 50' RA with the wheels up before climbing away. EMIRATES did not get away with it and ended up with a Belly Landing and subsequent destruction of the aircraft. These two ALMOST go away with it with just the engine cowls making contact with the runway before the aircraft climbed away, might have been better if they had crashed on the runway. Sadly with TOGA selected and damage from the 1st impact both Engines have likely been starved of either Fuel or OIL and have give up during the climb out. This is going to be one very interesting accident report as it would appear the whole sequence started with a rushed approach. I don't know what happened prior but the fact that the ATC contact at the start of the tape said 'we are now ready to continue the ILS' would suggest they were out of shape a long way out and an extra couple of minutes sorting it here may have prevented a needless accident. All conjecture of course but it fits the sequence and we have seen a few near misses in the past. The last safety course I went on as an Investigator had an entire presentation on how mishandled approach and go-arounds are emerging as one of the most deadly occurrences up there with excursions.