PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2020, 00:24
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadianAirbusPilot
Waster warning. Likely a Flap Overspeed though given the profile on approach and attempt to salvage it....
It's pretty much established from the ATC recordings that the overspeed warning was going off during their first, rushed, approach.
As I noted in a previous post, humans have an incredible capability to block out various noises/sounds - particularly in high work load situations where concentration on the task at hand is high. If they were getting repeated overspeed aural warnings, it's likely that they were either just ignoring them and didn't notice that a new aural warning for the gear had been added to the ruckus.
- OR -
They were repeatedly hitting the 'cancel' button when the overspeed warning went off and failed to notice that the warning had changed to landing gear before it too was cancelled. Someone brought up this scenario several pages ago and was brushed off - but it seems perfectly reasonable to me.
What boggles my mind is not that the flight crew could miss the warnings that the gear were not down - it's that they continued with the initial approach when it was so obviously flawed. Particularly in the current environment where there is so little air traffic - aborting the approach and doing it again wouldn't take much time.