PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard times for Norwegian
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:52
Kirks gusset

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, no-one likes to see fellow pilots screwed, it that's what you think you are in the wrong forum, even given the current pressures.

The phrase "denial of their fate" did not refer just to NAS Crews..

Of course no court action would be taking place if the "company had being doing well". Because until now, the company had been behaving iaw the law. But now that they have "abandoned" their crews in Spain as if they didnīt know them, is when that behaviour can be challenged in court. And not before.
Sorry, this is nonsense, if the crew transfer were illegal, they were illegal even if the company had not abandoned anyone, bit like saying i'm not a convict until I get caught.. complete rubbish. The problem with this "action" by SELPA it has only been taken now the crews are abandoned, it could have been taken before and negotiated, but in reality, no-one wants to bite the hand that feeds them.

NAS played a very shady game by galvanising the pilots with the Red Nose Warriors, making them feel part of the mother ship then in a callous and premeditated manner cut them free keeping only the home bases. The Pilots woke up to a nasty smell and then started to think about compensation etc etc.

And of course norwegian has assets. And cash as well. How in the world would they be alive otherwise...
No, it hasn't got a pot to pi** in, the assets have all been taken over by the shareholders.

Norwegian will still need to collaborate closely with a number of creditors as the Company currently has limited revenues.” "
they simply don't have the funds to pay millions in settlements.

In the UK we support the Spanish crews, some are even ex colleagues, but the UK pilots and BALPA realise that the only income the crews will get here is the furlough scheme and that is fading out, leaving hundreds of staff without jobs and just state aid. The SELPA action relies on the premise that the crews were in fact NAS employees and as NAS is still "active" although in a coma, that that they are entitled to the legal severances under Spanish Law. The NAS lawyers have basically said go row your own boat, now it's up to the courts to decide.

Lets suppose the court rules in favour of SELPA, the initial transfer of crews was illegal etc etc, and the crews were de facto employees of NAS.. then what? blood from a stone?
The fear of upsetting NAS should be banished from the minds of SELPA, stop using phrases like "our beloved company" , is this the same company that squatted on them from a great height? ,encourage other unions to support the cause and make the NAS operation in Spain impossible unless they do the honourable thing and recognise that as a majority shareholder in NAR ES that they were the "controlling mind" and had the associated financial responsibility.

Sadly, any victory may be hollow ifs the banks predict, NAS will fold or be taken over, in which case all bets are off.

Lastly, apologies to any Spanish crews that though I was getting pleasure from their predicament, this is not the case, I get 2 or 3 emails a day asking about 777 and 787 LPCs and recurrent and my feelings go out to the guys depending on these jobs to pay the bills.

Perhaps as a "goodwill" gesture NAS could keep everyone validated FOC?