PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Handley Page Hastings
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2020, 09:54
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts

@ India 42
You're welcome, but to be honest most people in the UK are only too glad to find something to pass that time and this Hastings thread has kept me occupied for many hours! It's fatal to browse these threads 'for a few minutes' as the minutes expand rapidly until the inevitable angry bellow down the hallway: I won't call you again, get off that damn computer NOW !

@ staircase
Your time on Prune has been far longer than mine so I'm sure you have visited the Brevet thread which Cliffnemo launched in June 2010. It began with wartime training but by 2012 had widened into all aspects of the postwar RAF, from training to overseas postings, from airfields to ATC, from flying experiences to family life.

Rob the Mod has assured me that the Brevet thread will remain as a living history of aviation written by those who created it. Sadly the thread has become almost moribund since the passing in 2018 of our much loved Danny42C, who flew Vultee Vengeance dive-bombers against the Japanese and became so bored when he returned to civilian clerical work that he rejoined the RAF and at last was posted to a Spitfire squadron.

His stories kept us spellbound and as you suggest were edited into two e-books, In with a Vengeance and Danny and the Cold War. The cover picture is of Danny and his Vengeance over the Western Ghats of southern India, and the objects below the wings are not bombs -- they are mustard gas spray canisters! I don't recognise your callsign so if you (or anyone else) want copies please send me your email via PM as Prune cannot handle attachments.

All we (and the late Danny) ask in return is a £10 per book donation to the RAF Benevolent Fund, his favourite charity. And many thanks to the scores of Pruners who have contributed – we reckon you have given well over £1000 to the Fund. Best wishes everyone, and may we all stay safe.