PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2020, 09:45
RiSq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog2872
Speculation: Normal approach, switched to tower, during config Landing Gear Down no green lights. So, requested to hold at 5 mile final(hold PPOS probably). Did troubleshooting, Landing Gear unsafe indication persisted, decided to continue approach(maybe they heard the Landing gear go down). Upon touchdown gear collapsed, so they went around, but damaged the engines, which caused dual engine flame out. Tower didn't seem That surprised because they were informed about the reason for holding, so they ask "confirm this time for belly landing".
Surely if you didn't have the greens then you would report that to ATC to have emergency crews on standby.

The whole thing screams bizarre.

The first mention of belly landing is when lost engines is mentioned. There is no discussion prior to this.

And surely if there were gear concerns or lack of 3 greens a low flypass would be ideal to confirm if gear are down, not just put it on the deck without fire crew ready or ATC even informed.

I’d hazard a guess that the ATCO has seen the first approach and subsequent sparks. When the pilot initially declares the emergency the ATCO asks about the belly landing as he is still target fixated on what he saw. There is no other reason from The transmissions why he would query a belly landing to a dual engine failure.

The concerning thing here is, even if there was more going on, it seems the swiss cheese effect was fully instigated by the crew. I know a lot of you guys have been grounded for a period of time and that may make you a bit “Rusty” - i know from experience that rust can occur.

but IF this was instigated by the crew and they did forget to put the gear down, even with the audible alarms then im afraid thats not rusty, thats something altogether different.

Even if you factor in rust and fasting fatigue, that is extremely concerning.

Has there been confirmation on this crews hours before this flight since the restriction was lifted?

The read back on confirm 2000 is horrible as the tone in voice changes as he states “trying to maintain 2000” as the realisation of what is happening suddenly kicks in.