PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA A320 Crash Karachi
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2020, 08:37
double_barrel

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by QDM360

Plane did touch down on the runway for belly landing the first time, but heavy jolts and sparks made the pilots lift again and retry the landing: Survivor

One of the only two lucky survivors of the plane crash, Muhammad Zubair, has revealed that it was during the second attempt at belly landing that the plane lost control and came crashing down.

After the landing gear failed and pilots resorted to belly landing, they were able to touch down the aircraft onto the runway in the first attempt at the risky maneuver.

However, informed Zubair, the jolts and sparks due to the friction were so severe that the pilots lifted the plane again to give the landing a second try.

“All that we were told by the pilots was that we were going to land again,” said Zubair, adding that there was no word from the pilots about the emergency situation or crash landing.
As someone interested in the psychology of eye witness accounts, and how people fail to separate their own interpretation from objective facts, I find those really interesting examples. In this case it is very obvious where the witness has imposed his own vision on what he thinks was in the pilots' heads and so it remains a useful account. Nevertheless an interesting demonstration.

The thing I find surprising about the emerging hypothesis, is that it seems to require equivalent damage with almost identical consequences to two engines/systems following a double pod impact. I wonder if there will be lessons in improved redundancy?