PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2020, 09:27
ATNotts

Received 292 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by racedo
Householder................... nobody of that name lives here, goodbye.
Police show me your ID
Householder ................... no and please get off my property or get a search warrant and I will get my solicitor and neighbours here for your next visit
That's not too wide of the mark. My line of work involves visiting households who have had prior notice, in writing, that someone may would be calling around (and no, I'm not a bailiff!!). It is quite common to rock up on a doorstep, knock the door, lights on, TV on, voices from inside, but nobody answers the door. Many people have good reasons for acting this way; fear of crime obviously, but also, if they are fiddling benefits they may fear a visit from the council, or if they have debts, fear of bailiffs or the local loan shark from whom they've borrowed money.

Turn that on it's head and the plod arrives on the doorstep of someone supposed to be in quarantine, lights and TV on, voices heard. Do they assume that the residents are at home and go away? No lights on no sound from inside, do they assume residents aren't at home? Unless they're going to get a search warrant for speculatively for each address they're visiting in a given day, so they can break down the door and demand ID, or sit around the corner and watch the house (which is very poor use of police resources) how are they supposed to make effective checks.

Without employing half the former employees of the STASI, or recruiting spies from the local community who are will to report movements of people in enforced quarantine the government's quarantine system just won't work. Requisition a load of Premier Inns and Travelodges across the length and breadth of the UK place all arrival in them for 14 days and it might.