PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has Anyone Flown Commercially Lately?
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2020, 02:26
b1lanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edi_local
Mr Mac,

I hope you are right and I am wrong. I just think that in addition to the all the People saying they are loving home working and video calls (whether they mean it or not)
​​​​​​, there are also many who are going to use this as an excuse to permanently curb flights for environmental reasons.
​​​​
Couldn't agree with you more. CNN just hired Greta as part of their COVID response coverage team. I have home-officed for decades in the past. I've also commuted cross country weekly to go to work for years. There are pluses and minuses. I work a lot more hours at home much to the better half's chagrin. In the past two months, I am more efficient at home then I have been at work in large part because 92% or my company is teleworking by mandate. There is nobody for me to go visit. I have unlimited access to capabilities that I can't get at work due to corporate IT policies. That's an indictment on corporate IT ineptitude more than anything else. The company has adapted and been forced to open up. There will be people who will find this attractive for the long term - I know some. But the majority of folks I work with believe they are safer at work then they are at the local grocery store and can't wait to get back.

I am also travel banned for the unforseeable future but since I am considered mission essential was told I'll be traveling cross country in mid June. Given my age, I'm not enthusiastic about that.

What I don't like is I feel like I've retired and if this is retirement, I guess I'll keep working but only if I can go into work. Who knows though, in the long term, I might benefit from this. I make time for daily treadmill whereas before my time was spent sitting on my butt driving to/from work. I eat healthier meals. I get more sleep. A lot less stress. That will be attractive to some. I'd say that 50/50 on who will want to continue or return to the old office.