PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 100 Squadron - WW2 Lancs
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2020, 00:01
MAINJAFAD

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Blues&twos
Hi, whilst I have been frequenting PPRuNe for years, I haven't posted in this bit before.

I'm trying to find out a bit of operational history for Lancaster ND785, which exploded in mid air, having taken off from Grimsby on (I think) 21 April 1944, tasked against Col9gne, Germany.
My great-uncle Sgt C.C.Davies was one of the crew and was killed.

Any information or suggestions about the best places to look would be gratefully received!
The Squadron operational records for WWII are in digital format and thanks to the lockdown closure of the National Archives can be downloaded for free if you have an account set up with them. https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

100 Squadron's records that contain the information for April 1944 are held in file AIR 27/797 which are broken down into 24 documents. The odd numbered ones will cover what operations were done and who was posted in and out of the unit, while the even numbered ones will cover which aircraft and their crews did which sorties and included take off time, landing time (if returned) and general other information about each sortie. 1943 is covered in AIR 27/796